Skip to main content


When you're not eligible

Rates and payment

If you and your partner are both serving in a remote location, you'll both get the allowance, but at a lower rate.

Absence from the remote location

Moving locations

If you move to a location that isn't a remote location, you'll keep getting the allowance while at least one of your dependants stays in the remote location.

Apply for district allowance

If you're on temporary duty, you can apply once you've been there for 21 continuous days.

Visit the Afghanistan Inquiry website for information and welfare support regarding The Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force’s (IGADF) Afghanistan Inquiry.