Skip to main content

When Defence may pay you travelling allowance

If you're ranked Major (or equivalent) or lower and living-in accommodation (LIA) is available on base, you must stay in LIA unless you've been approved to stay elsewhere.

The amount is paid as part of your salary and may be taxed. 

What travelling allowance includes

You can change your nominated account for salary or ROMAN using the Authorisation for Bank, Financial institution, Pay Allotment and/or Deduction details (AF033) form. You can download this from the Forms portal on the Defence Protected Network (DPN).

Before you travel

Visit TravelConnect on the DPN to access guides and FAQs on booking travel.

After you travel

If your trip is cut short or cancelled, your travel allowance may change. If the new approved amount is less than what you've already received, you'll have to pay back any excess.


Subscribe here to receive monthly updates on ADF pay and conditions information.